Monday, August 14, 2006

Edward Gorey

I first got into Edward Gorey through the opening credits of the PBS series, MYSTERY! I used to be a big Agatha Christie fiend... The animation is based on his style and the storyline has all these detectives running around and women in cocktail dresses falling off of buildings, it's awesome. I guess what I respond to most about his drawings is that they are often times both morbid and witty. I think it's really appropriate that he wrote and collaborated on many childrens books because to me all his art work seems to tell a story. Whenever I look at a peice of his I find myself asking questions about the characters and the circumstances that led them to such bizarre situations. For example: who let the grim reaper chaperone this group of school children? Here's some of his work, enjoy:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home